Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Doing what is RIGHT!

I am in tears this morning.  Happy Tears!

Yesterday I found out that I had a warrant for my arrest in Jackson County!  Yikes!  I was so freaked out. In my "using days" there were lots of warrants, lots of hiding in the apartment waiting for the police to stop knocking on the door and go away.  I hated that.  I hated lying, hated hiding, hated feeling & being a criminal!  That life was MISERABLE!  










So yesterday when I found this out, my addiction started to poke out of the darkness and tell me to hide, lie, and ignore this and maybe it would go away.  But then I spoke up, I stood up to that addiction and told it to go away.  I steeled myself for a possibly bad outcome and picked up the phone and called the County Clerk's office.  I  told her my story, and that I didn't want to hide from them or skirt my responsibilities and that I was about to start my new job ( YEAH!) and could I make a payment plan or just extend the due date out like 30 days?  She told me to send a fax to the judge telling him exactly what I had told her and she would make sure he got it.  

 I got home and started the letter.  I went online to the website to see what my case # was so that I could use it as a reference.  When I opened up the record, the warrant was gone. That's right G-O-N-E, gone.  The page reflected a new due date and my updated address, which I gave her even though I was scared all day the cops would show up, and the warrant indicator completely wiped out.  I screamed in joy, called my sponsor and said "God is Good!"  She told me she was proud of me and that when you do the right thing, good things happen to you!  She is SO right!  

I am so happy that I am back.  

 I know I no longer have to hide, lie, cheat, and steal! 

 NO LONGER DO I HAVE TO LIVE THAT MISERABLE LIFE!

To top it all off.  I called this morning to verify they had received my letter, which I hadn't even gotten faxed before they closed yesterday.  (Remember I was still writing it when the information was changed and the warrant squashed)  The same woman Debbie answered the phone and as soon as I said my name she knew exactly who I was.  It turns out she didn't wait for my letter, as I suspected, she went straight to the Judge and told him my story.  He immediately agreed that the warranted should be erased and that I "deserved" a chance to continue doing the RIGHT THING and moving forward with my life and my recovery.  

Tears began to stream down my face!  I thanked her profusely and asked her to thank the Judge.  I told her it meant SO much to me, what she did.  She said "You're welcome Stacey.  Keep up the great work - you are doing what is right"  

In recovery we talk a lot about EGO and I am working on not letting mine get the best of me, but I am proud of me too.  I could have let the "bad guy" (my addiction) win out in this situation, but I didn't.  Stacey & her new life in recovery do what was right and what would lead me a few steps further in my path.  


p.s.
I think I am going to send Debbie and Judge Lister a nice thank you note, because I think it's the right thing to do!







4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey, reading this brought tears to my eyes. I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you and can't imagine how hard all of this has been for you. It really sounds like you have been to hell and back. Stay positve and strong, it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders....stay with it!
    Remember, I was friend of yours then and will always remain a friend of yours, need anything don't be afraid to ask :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've told you before, but I'm SO proud of you. I'm so happy for you every time you take a step in the right direction. You are such an amazing person, and I am so happy to call you MY FRIEND.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete